Upheaval: Rise of the Iliri: Book 8

Upheaval: Rise of the Iliri: Book 8

Paperback – October 25, 2018
476
English
1726888142
9781726888141
25 Oct
Auryn Hadley
VICTORY IS AT HAND! ALL THEY NEED IS A MIRACLE…

This eighth epic fantasy in Auryn Hadley’s fan favorite, the Rise of the Iliri sci-fi / fantasy series, is just as much steamy erotic romance as it is espionage-tinged action-adventure thriller.

Being a woman while leading the army has drawbacks. It's even worse for a Kaisae. To avoid hormonal confusion and keep the Black Blades from instinctively tearing their male allies apart, Anglia is at a standstill - and Sal hates it.

The last thing the enemy needs is another advantage, and with Merriton on the horizon, this battle is very personal. Someone has been helping the enemy. The trick will be figuring out who, stopping them, and securing the CFC's largest economic powerhouse without destroying the entire country. The problem? Ayati's no longer playing fair. The rules have changed, but will Sal figure it out in time?


Like all the books in the Rise of the Iliri series, this is a complete epic science-fantasy novel, without a cliffhanger. The female lead has multiple consensual romantic relationships as well as fulfilling friendships that matter to the storyline. Because the illiri have insatiable and exotic sexual instincts, the smoking hot sex may make it unsuitable for humans under 18.

Reviews (182)

I never want to leave these pages.

Woohoo! It's FINALLY here and I have ripped through this bad boy with the passion of a woman who is coming off of a diet and is face down in a cake. I have never been so nervously excited to dive back into a series and as we all know, Auryn is a master story weaver with many tricks up her sleeve. First... Sal is still so badass. 8 books later and she is still so so SO amazing and this time around, her brothers/sisters-in-arms are drawn into a risky and intricate plan that requires an insane amount of trust and could make or break our beloved Kaisae. Did I mention the mate-race picks up speed? And I am firmly planted in the #TeamKolt camp and he is just so... so... ::swoon:: The others are just as delectable as ever as Auryn turns up the heat. Old faces and memories complicate things as personal battles are waged alongside the war against the Terrans, but will Sal make it? I bit my nails to the quick as I flipped the pages and am currently suffering from lack of sleep, book hangover, and the intense need to start the ROTI journey all over again because that's just what these books make you do.

#SpoilerWarrior

Look. I haven’t given a book 5 stars in months. I’m not a person who says that every single book is the best book that I’ve ever read. If I five star a book, it’s because it’s amaze balls. Auryn does NOT disappoint in this book. As always, running thoughts: OMG IM SO READY. Man I’m so happy right now. I can’t stop smiling. But I swear, Blaec needs to stay *dead*. In all ways. Forever. I love that Jase won’t leave the room. This is why I like him the most. RAZOR?! RAZOR?! I worry about why Jase didn’t want to be a part of it. (Oh. That makes total sense but also OMG. One of them better not die.) Nothing has ever been as hot as this is right now. Um. It better not be a premonition. *goes back to check mate schedule. Checks with honeybruhs* No no no no. No. I don’t like Dark Heart at all. Also, Hax left his commanding officer to go with Sal in a fight and that makes me like him even less. He shouldn’t have been at her left. He gives me the heebie jeebies. #teamthroatpunchhax ohmygodohmygodohmygod Okay. I will forgive Blaec for his past transgressions. There are some authors who can’t handle this many perspectives when writing. Auryn has so many balls up in the air and never drops any of them. “Explain to me again how you lost my daughter.” Favorite. Line. Ever. Ran is the best human alive. Ever. Change my mind. Have I mentioned how much I love Ran. Thank God that it wasn’t Hax.

Another EPIC Read

Words are hard to come by when you have read a book that was so good, and you know for a fact that no matter what you say, you aren’t going to do the book justice. Upheaval by Auryn Hadley was beyond amazing. The suspense, the action, the romance, so perfect. I can never get enough of this fantastic world that this author has created. Sal and all of my other favorite characters are back and better. Twists and turns everywhere. New characters introduced, and new love interests brought to light. Every word… pure perfection. I devoured this book within hours of getting it, and once it was all over, I needed the next one. I’m hooked, addicted, so in love with this world, the characters, and the series as a whole. I can never get enough. There is more to come from this incredible series, but until then, I’ll be rereading all of the books all over again. Thanks auryn for another remarkable book in this epic series.

Another fantastic exploration of love and prejudice

I love the Rise of the Iliri series. In fact, it's probably one of my favorite series ever. Upheaval is book 8 in Auryn Hadley's science fantasy series, and she keeps on delivering. I'll admit, the covers turned me off this series for a long time. Even after I read the first book in her series Gamer Girls, I was leery. But I finally began reading this series and now I can't get enough (though the covers still are off-putting...sorry Auryn). Auryn has this insane ability to really make the characters real...and she doesn't pull punches. You don't know if your favorite character will live to the end. You don't know if the character you hate will become the one you love. Nothing is sacred...except the story. The hardest thing, I think, when reading a long series is maintaining the momentum and depth that you get in the first few books. Too often, authors seem to stop trying once they get through the first few books. This is NOT the case with RotI. Upheaval is just as compelling and complete as Bloodlust was. I seriously stayed up all night to read it in one go. The series is about a war, on the surface. But it's really about hate and prejudice. It's about love (of yourself and others). It's about power. The evolution of power and status throughout the series is ever-changing. Upheaval is that, but more. There are more changes and some quite unexpected turns of events in this book. At the same time, there are things that have been brewing since before the first book that are finally coming to fruition. I once again found myself at the end and flipping pages to see if there was more. If you don't like cliffhangers, wait till the series is complete. Hadley has zero issues with leaving her readers hanging. Hadley's world is fraught with man-made issues. Slavery, racism, and war fill the pages, but over all that is the idea of hope. The idea that the life we are born to is not the life we are stuck with. Characters in the book often describe the scent of Sal as "hope." And as we get further and further into the story, this becomes more and more tangible. Even when the army suffers defeat, even when Sal feels hopeless, Hadley gives the reader hope that it will all work out. That the pattern has a purpose. At the same time, you know she could write something that will truly destroy you. So while devouring the book, I was always braced for something terribly tragic to happen. The Rise of the Iliri is a beautiful melding of science and fantasy. Upheaval ups the ante, leaving the reader balancing on a ledge wondering if maybe, just maybe, there will not be a happy ending.

The Best One Yet

I struggle to decide whether I love Book 4 or this book more. I do believe this one. We are thrown a LOT of bones in this book. Basically, everything you wanted to happen as the reader... starts happening. This is also the steamiest book of the series! It’s almost like the author said, “Oh? You guys don’t think there is enough boom boom time in my books? Well then... hold my beer!” Be prepared to want some private time the first 25% of the book. Basically, this book is the tipping point for the rest of the war. It seems calm, because we get a break to invest in the characters intimately, but don’t be deceived. At the end, we get the same amount of battle action we know and love. I can’t wait for the next book and I’m looking forward to see how Sal’s journey ends!

I would give this book more stars if I could...

I cheered and groaned my way through this book. Why? Auryn is notorious for leaving little Easter eggs in each book that suddenly take on huge meanings later in the series. I cheered because I got something right and groaned when I had to say, again, why didn’t I see that coming? She laid it all out for us... 🤦♀️ What I am trying to say is that I love this series and the eighth installment was no exception. Well written, excellent pacing, steamy scenes, action, suspense, you name it, this book had it. Auryn is the master at making you feel exactly as she wants you to feel and you get swept up into Sal’s world each time you enter it. This is my favorite series and Upheaval may well become my favorite in the series. My only complaint: it ended and I had to return to the real world. And when a book is over 500 pages long and you still think it’s too short? Yeah, Auryn is a genius. If you are hesitating at all to read this series, just stop and one-click all the books. You will kick yourself later for the hesitation. I know I did.

I hate the phrase “reverse harem”

This book is so much more. I often read a review that says how an author did great “world-building.” Butin this series, the reader is actually along for the “world building.” And it changes book-to-book, before our eyes. It’s not a reverse harem book; it’s a book about a developing culture (or re-developing). It’s a book about fighting for what you believe and feel. I don’t know if this series was written with an deeper meaning. What I do know is that it is engrossing, entertain8ng, makes you feel the characters and want their success. I am such a fan! I didn’t find this series until the fourt book was out. When I started the first one, I bought and read all that was available, and now watch, with great attention, for the next release. Read them yourselves and escape into the building of a pretty wonderful world!

This series just keeps getting better!

I'm so incredibly invested not just in this series but the characters are what pulled me in hook line and all. These books are incredible and they have such depth and have everything you could ever hope for. The have it all and the author does it all flawlessly. The plot, the story, the action is all top notch and every book is packed full but the characters for me are the heart and soul of this series. Every book I've read in this series I'm always dreading that last page. I'm never ready for the book to be over, never ready to impatiently wait for the next book to release, but I'm always excited to start the next part of the journey. This series is such a winner and if you've read any of them then I don't need to convince you to read the next one, however if you haven't tried one then don't wait pick up book one and begin the journey now. You can read this using kindle unlimited so no excuses to not start now. I'll be honest I started this series with KU but our was so good that I quickly switched to purchasing until I was one clicking the pre-order which is what I did here. I've read three other series from this author and fell in love with each of them even though they were all so very different and different genres but the quality of the writing and the way she reels you in are all the same. I urge you to check them out you won't be disappointed. I'm sure after giving them a try you'll be following her on Amazon like I am.

I finally finished it!!!

I got this book the day it released and started it right away. It's gripping, emotionally charged, and at times I could feel my heart stuttering in fear. As a result I got to about the 66% Mark and had to stop for fear of the unknown. Fans of Auryn will completely understand where I'm coming from. Every word holds power. I started my reread of ROTI Friday and it's now 1:20am on Sunday and I just finished Upheaval. I new the story line would get more intense as the series grew but I was not prepared for this. SPOILERS--- First Sal and Shade go into estrus. Then Shade ops to have Arctic and Ghost come to her and they completed their mating. Arctic was a d!ck to Sal. Sal gets sexy times with all three of her Mates. Makes Kolt her cessivi and then ties him to Zep. And on and on. Sh!t gets real. Every pages has things happening. In a lot of books you get downtime chapter where nothing major happens. Not so with anything written by Auryn Hadley! This girl is a heavyweight! She delivers one two punches, body jabs and then lands a knockout punch! It's so good with surprises and revelations that have me speculating about upcoming events. I am happy, exhausted, and awaiting the next book!!!!

Even more suspense than past books

Oh. My. Gosh. Even more tension and suspense than every book before this. And just as much fun and romance. How? How is it possible to get that perfect blend? I truly admire Auryn Hadley for her work. And the world keeps building. More understanding of ayati, more understanding of how the iliri came to be, and more action and "OMGOMGOMGOMG" moments than any other book in the series thus far. It moves quickly from "Hey this is fun and cute..." to "WHAT IS HAPPENING?!? PLEASE DON'T DIE!!!", in just a few pages. I'd like to think that main characters are safe in books I like, but after Blaec, who I *thought* was a main character, I just don't trust that anymore. Plus, I've read the Divergent series, so clearly that's not a rule for everyone. BUT I'm glad that so far, Auryn has kept all the characters I actually like (because I didn't really care for Blaec and didn't even understand what Sal saw in him to begin with). But there are still 3 more books to the series and things are only going to get more intense from here on out. And I gotta say... Pretty happy about Razor's prophecy. Didn't see it coming (had suspicions the first time he was told, but didn't see its fruition coming so quickly), but really happy with it. Also happy about Rayna's love life. And Zep's surprising skill. And relieved that Hax is out of the running. If iliri dudebros were a thing, Hax would be it. I'm eager to read the rest, even though I'm sure I'll want to stay in their world a bit longer after it's done.

Related Books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

143 Pieces Hawaiian Tropical Luau Theme Party Decorations Set, Include Tissue Paper Pineapples, Tropical Palm Simulation Leaves, Artificial Hibiscus Luau Flowers, Gold Glittery Aloha Banner

History Births on May 17